Presenting the 2013 Summer Class of Chips Quinn Scholars

They number 16, come from 12 colleges and universities and are assigned to 15 media sites around the country. For many of the members of the 2013 Summer class of Chips Quinn Scholars, their passion for journalism stems from an early love of writing, reading or photography, and they pursue those endeavors in their free time. Many in the class also enjoy watching movies, hanging out with family and friends, bicycling, following or playing sports, and making or listening to music. One Scholar paints people’s faces at a zoo while another belongs to an online group that sends and receives postcards from around the world. Read on to become better acquainted with the Summer 2013 Scholars.

JAMES BARRAGAN
Hometown: Pomona, Calif.
College: University of California-Los Angeles
Host Newspaper: Austin (Texas) American-Statesman
What I know about my host newspaper:
The Austin American-Statesman covers issues in Austin and Central Texas. It traces its origins to the merging of the Democratic Statesman, founded in 1871, and the Austin American, founded in 1914. The newspaper runs a Spanish-language publication called ¡ahora si!
How I got interested in journalism:
I wanted to be a writer like Gabriel García Márquez, who started his career in the newspaper business. When I entered college, I joined my school’s newspaper, the Daily Bruin, to follow in his footsteps. I was hooked and decided to become a newspaper man, no matter what.
What I do for fun:
This sounds nerdy, but I like to read for fun. I’ve always had a passion for it. I’m also an avid film fanatic. I enjoy watching sports and am a huge fan of my local soccer team, the Los Angeles Galaxy.
What I’ll pack for my internship:
Dress clothes, my laptop and iPhone, AP Stylebook and my copy of “The Great Gatsby.”
Favorite websites:
Los Angeles Times, The Atlantic, New York Times, El Puercospin

ANA CEBALLOS
Hometown: San Diego, Calif.
College: San Diego State University
Host Newspaper: The Trentonian (Trenton, N.J.)
What I know about my host newspaper:
The Trentonian is a daily newspaper in New Jersey’s capital, Trenton. It has a circulation of more than 30,000 and won a Pulitzer Prize for editorial writing in 1974. The Trentonian has been covering a corruption scandal involving Trenton Mayor Tony Mack, and I look forward to contributing to the coverage this summer.
How I got interested in journalism:
I have always been a bookworm and writer and loved watching people and telling their stories. In my senior year of high school, my English teacher suggested I look into journalism, and I have never looked back. The best stories are real, not fictional, and we only need to talk to people around us to get them.
What I do for fun:
I like to do yoga and read novels. I love photography and developing pictures in the darkroom. Relaxing at home, I love to watch “The Office” or “Grey’s Anatomy” on TV with popcorn at my side.
What I’ll pack for my internship:
I will pack my reporting essentials: camera, notebook, laptop, pens, recorder and AP Stylebook. I will also pack enough clothes for 10 weeks and a novel for the plane.
Favorite websites:
Reddit, Reuters, Twitter, BBC news, Tumblr, Netflix

NICOLE CHAVEZ
Hometown: El Paso, Texas
College: University of Texas-El Paso
Host Newspaper: The Washington Post
What I know about my host newspaper:
It’s many a young journalist’s dream to work at The Washington Post (at least it’s one of mine). It’s one of the few major media companies in the United States on the cutting edge of technological news production. The Post’s coverage goes beyond local coverage, and reporters are based in cities around the world, including Mexico City, Bogota, Islamabad and Beirut. Also, the paper is about to implement a paywall on its website for frequent users, although it would offer unlimited access to users in schools, government and military offices. Everything else I know about the Post I learned from “All the President’s Men.”
How I got interested in journalism:
As a child, I read local newspapers and Reader’s Digest magazines and watched Mexican celebrity gossip TV shows. When I was 15, I had the chance to take photos for a hyperlocal website in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. I didn’t know anything about news writing, but I always enjoyed hanging out with members of the media while they covered events. Later, I found myself in the field with a recorder and camera, following reporters and learning from them and eventually doing my own thing as I got better. Before going to any of my classes on my first day of college, I submitted my application for the student newspaper.
What I do for fun:
Other than journalism? I love watching movies, taking photos, reading, going to concerts and singing. I like to try different cuisines and come up with healthy new recipes. I’m also a member of an online community of people who send and receive postcards from around the world.
What I’ll pack for my internship:
Several notebooks and Field Notes (I am obsessed with notebooks), pens, my iPhone, my Marantz recorder, professional clothes that keep me fresh in the humid weather, comfy shoes in many colors, a blender to make green smoothies and a shower curtain with the Washington, D.C., metro map on it. Maybe I’ll buy a map or download an app when I’m there so I don’t have to lug a shower curtain everywhere.
Favorite websites:
Twitter, FronterasDesk.org, WashingtonPost, NYTimes, DocumentCloud.org, Colorlines.com, journalists.org, TexasTribune.org, Poynter.org, blogdelnarco.com, guardian.co.uk/data

MARCELLA ANAHI CORONA
Hometown: Nogales, Ariz.
College: University of Arizona
Host Newspaper: St. Paul (Minn.) Pioneer Press
What I know about my host newspaper:
The St. Paul Pioneer Press traces its origins to the Minnesota Pioneer. It’s owned by MediaNews Group and is the biggest paper in St. Paul, Minn.
How I got interested in journalism:
I’ve always loved to write. As a kid, I would always carry a notebook and pencil and write about anything and everything. After a little college soul-searching, I decided to give journalism a shot and fell in love with it. What better way to write than tell other people’s stories through my words?
What I do for fun:
I would love to do more photojournalism. When I have the chance, I check out a camera from my school and take photos of events that interest me. I’m working to save for a Canon T3i camera (or better) to do more photojournalism and multimedia. I also love oil painting. I recently received a case with paints, brushes and color pencils as a gift. I felt adventurous and dove into it. I enjoy outdoor activities like jogging and riding my bike around town. Indoors, I love to cook delicious meals and bake. I also enjoy play video games, reading and watch anime.
What I’ll pack for my internship:
Apart from the bare necessities, I’ll be taking my notebook, pen and recorder.
Favorite websites:
azstarnet, tucsonweekly, cnn, facebook

MARIE ESTRADA
Hometown: Moorpark, Calif.
College: Humboldt State University
Host Newspaper: Times-Herald (Vallejo, Calif.)
What I know about my host newspaper:
The news group I’ll be working for owns the Times-Standard, one of the few papers in the area where I attend school in Humboldt County, Calif. I have many friends who are employed with the Times-Standard so I know a bit about the news group and am excited to start work at the Times-Herald in Vallejo.
How I got interested in journalism:
I’ve always loved to write but was originally a wildlife major at Humboldt State University. I realized that I wanted to be a journalism major when I indulged my love of photography and took a photojournalism class. Little did I know I’d just signed up for the best two years of my college education. I immediately took beginning reporting, starting working for the school newspaper and never looked back.
What I do for fun:
I’ve been in Northern California for almost four years, and there are so many outdoorsy things to do. I enjoy riding my bike, going to the river, hiking through the redwood forests and going to the beautiful beaches in Humboldt County. I’m an animal lover, so I enjoy taking my roommate’s dog for a walk. I like to volunteer at the Sequoia Park Zoo in Eureka and am a face painter at many zoo events. When at home in Southern California, I enjoy spending time with my huge and wonderful family and dabble in jewelry-making, crafts and more bike-riding.
What I’ll pack for my internship:
Notebooks, pens, clothing and my Canon.
Favorite websites:
thelumberjack.org (Humboldt State University newspaper), harpersbazaar, vogue, nytimes, Etsy (a serious addiction)

ZAHRA FARAH
Hometown: San Antonio, Texas
College: Texas State University
Host Newspaper: The Courier-Journal (Louisville, Ky.)
What I know about my host newspaper:
The Courier-Journal is one of the oldest newspapers in Kentucky; it is also the only newspaper in Louisville.
How I got interested in journalism:
I learned the value of the news at an early age. When the Somali civil war broke out, my father used the news as a way to find out if our family was still alive. I want to help families the way my family was helped during one of our toughest times.
What I do for fun:
I enjoy biking and watching old movies.
What I’ll pack for my internship:
The question is what won’t I pack for my internship?
Favorite websites:
Kaiserhealthnews.org, texastribune.org, urbanspoon

LINDSEY FORD
Hometown: Chino, Calif.
College: Arizona State University
Host Media Group: Thomson Reuters (New York, N.Y.)
What I know about my host media group:
Reuters is one of the world’s largest agency of multimedia news and has shares listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange. I am interested in learning how to write and report about business and financial issues.
How I got interested in journalism:
I wanted to find a career that did not feel like work. I love socializing, interviewing and writing. Journalism is the perfect fit for me when I consider all of my favorite things to do. I majored in broadcast journalism because I’m not shy in front of the camera.
What I do for fun:
I like to laugh, so spending time with my friends and family is what I mainly like to do for fun. I also like to blog (Tumblr) and take photographs.
What I’ll pack for my internship:
I am going to pack a lot of paper for writing, writing utensils, my clothing, of course, and my laptop.
Favorite websites:
Tumblr, Reuters, Vogue, Facebook, Soundcloud

ADRIAN GARCIA
Hometown: Pueblo, Colo.
College: University of Colorado
Host Newspaper: The Denver Post
What I know about my host newspaper:
The Denver Post is the largest-circulating newspaper in Colorado. It has been publishing since 1892 and has won nine Pulitzer Prizes.
How I got interested in journalism:
Writing as a columnist for my high school newspaper opened my eyes to journalism. I loved seeing that the publication could actually affect my peers. My column eventually led to the shutting down of the paper.
What I do for fun:
I love to read and watch classic movies. I wish I could say I have an amazing hobby but when I have free time I usually relax and hang out with friends.
What I’ll pack for my internship:
I think I have all I need for my internship because I’m from Colorado. It’s about 45 minutes from my apartment in Boulder to The Denver Post building in downtown Denver.
Favorite websites:
Twitter, TheUselessWeb, Huffington Post

GUERRERO GARCIA
Hometown: El Paso, Texas
College: University of Texas-El Paso
Host Newspaper: New Haven (Conn.) Register
What I know about my host newspaper:
I know that the Register, which was established in 1812, is one of the oldest continuously published newspapers in the United States. Print will never be erased from history.
How I got interested in journalism:
I had a passion for photography. Every photograph I took had a story to tell. I started taking photos and writing about the happenings in the photos, which led me to pursue an education in multimedia journalism.
What I do for fun:
I like to hike through the Franklin Mountains. I also enjoy running and cycling through the streets of El Paso. Listening to music is always fun.
What I’ll pack for my internship:
I will pack and ship my bicycle. I will also be packing clothes, a picture of my family and reporter pads.
Favorite websites:
Borderzine.com and CNN, along with other news source websites

AKEEM GLASPIE
Hometown: Elgin, Ill.
College: Southern Illinois University
Host Newspaper: The Oakland Press (Pontiac, Mich.)
What I know about my host newspaper:
The Oakland Press (formerly known as the Pontiac Press) is located in Pontiac, Mich., and covers news in Oakland County and high school, collegiate and professional sports teams.
How I got interested in journalism:
I’ve always had the ability to express myself well through writing. As I became more obsessed with sports, I decided that merging the two interests would result in the ideal profession for me.
What I do for fun:
I watch sports on TV, read about sports and spend time with friends and family, probably discussing sports.
What I’ll pack for my internship:
Laptop, voice recorder, notebooks and copies of ESPN the Magazine.
Favorite websites:
ESPN, SI, Yahoo, BleacherReport, Grantland

VIRGINIA ISAAD
Hometown: Northridge, Calif.
College: California State University
Host Newspaper: El Paso (Texas) Times
What I know about my host newspaper:
It’s the only English-language daily in El Paso and covers local and border issues.
How I got interested in journalism:
Growing up, I loved reading and writing, which led me to a degree in English literature. I decided to pursue journalism after working for my college newspaper, where I realized what I love is the opportunity to tell people’s stories.
What I do for fun:
I love photography and yoga, dancing, running with my dogs, reading and traveling. I love exploring Los Angeles and finding amazing local spots, and I really enjoy eating and discovering new restaurants.
What I’ll pack for my internship:
Besides the essentials (personal and work-related) I’m packing a new book, my iPod, my favorite comfy blanket and a bag to carry everything around in. Too bad I can’t bring my dogs.
Favorite websites:
A little bit of everything: latimes, time, life, jezebel, vulture, the atlantic, lamag, al jazeera, buzzfeed, huffpost along with various blogs and, of course, Twitter and my personal favorite, Pinterest.

BRITTNY ARIEL MEJIA
Hometown: Kaiserslautern, Germany
College: University of Arizona
Host Newspaper: The Oakland (Calif.) Tribune
What I know about my host newspaper:
The Oakland Tribune covers the San Francisco Bay Area and is owned by MediaNews Group. The paper was founded in 1874 and won the Pulitzer Prize in 1950 and in 1989 for photo coverage.
How I got interested in journalism:
When I was in elementary school, my parents bought me a backpack that I referred to as my “spy backpack.” It contained a recorder, binoculars and a notebook. For a while, I wanted to be a spy, but eventually I realized I wanted to be a reporter. I’ve been pursuing journalism ever since.
What I do for fun:
I like to read and spend time with the friends I don’t get to see throughout the week because of work.
What I’ll pack for my internship:
I’ll pack pens, my recorder and a reporter’s notebook. Do I need anything else?
Favorite websites:
cnn, nytimes, wildcat.arizona.edu

AMER TALEB
Hometown: Tucson, Ariz.
College: University of Arizona
Host Media Group: CNN
What I know about my host media group:
CNN is one of the top news organizations in the world and the first 24-hour news channel. Millions of people in more than 200 countries and territories watch CNN, and the outlet has covered just about every major event since its inception in 1980.
How I got interested in journalism:
I wanted to combine my skills with a career that allowed me to inform and empower others. I also love traveling, storytelling and meeting new people, all of which journalism allows me to do.
What I do for fun:
Work out, read, teach myself a new skill.
What I’ll pack for my internship:
Clothes, electronics and lots of junk food.
Favorite websites:
Codecademy, Facebook, Lynda, CNN, Poynter

JAMES TENSUAN
Hometown: Mountain View, Calif.
College: San Jose State University
What I know about my host newspaper:
The Courier-Journal is the largest paper in Kentucky and also serves part of Indiana. The paper has been home to many great photojournalists, including Melissa Farlow, Jim Gensheimer and Bill Luster. The Gannett-owned publication has garnered a handful of Pulitzer Prizes over the years.
How I got interested in journalism:
In middle school, I discovered my love for photography when my grandmother gave me a book by Dorothea Lange and my first film camera. While working for my town’s weekly paper in high school, I was introduced by my mentor to the work of the San Jose (Calif.) Mercury News photojournalists. I haven’t looked back since.
What I do for fun:
Drink coffee with friends and go for long bike rides.
What I’ll pack for my internship:
My cameras, a few lenses, audio equipment, a monopod, a holga and some 120 film.
Favorite websites:
Time’s Lightbox, The Lens Blog, thephotosociety.org, aphotoaday.org, petapixel

ALEXANDRIA VALDEZ
Hometown: Eaton, Colo.
College: University of Montana
Host Newspaper: Green Bay (Wis.) Press-Gazette
What I know about my host newspaper:
The Green Bay Press-Gazette is a Gannett paper that covers northeastern Wisconsin. The sports section has extensive coverage on the Green Bay Packers since Green Bay is home to the NFL team.
How I got interested in journalism:
When I was in middle school, I started spending Sundays watching NASCAR races with my dad. When the race started one Sunday during my sophomore year in high school, I noticed that Krista Voda was the only woman reporter covering the race. It clicked in my brain that if Voda could report about NASCAR, why couldn’t I? I knew I didn’t want to be in front of the camera like her, but I wanted to report on sports with my mighty pen.
What I do for fun:
Hang out with my sorority sisters, craft, read, go to country music concerts.
What I’ll pack for my internship:
My “I-wish” book, sorority badge, letters from last summer from my boyfriend, pictures, my computer, my AP Stylebook, audio recorder and comfy shoes.
Favorite websites:
deadspin, NASCAR, ESPN, bigskyconf, jimromenesko

KELLY ZHOU
Hometown: Palo Alto, Calif.
Host Newspaper: The Orange County Register (Santa Ana, Calif.)
What I know about my host newspaper:
The Orange County Register is a leading paper in its area, with a daily circulation of 250,000 and multiple Pulitzer Prizes under its belt. Recently purchased by 2100 Trust, the publication has enacted a website paywall and renewed its focus on its print product, including hiring dozens of new reporters.
How I got interested in journalism:
At my high school, we packed 80 kids in a classroom and produced a 24-page broadsheet paper every month. My two years in the program were unlike anything I had ever experienced, and getting to write stories and be an editor in chief for The Campanile sealed my decision to pursue journalism.
What I do for fun:
Running, baking excessively, cheering for the San Francisco Giants and attending too many concerts (much to the detriment of my wallet). I’ve found a new love in snowboarding, too, and can’t wait for snow season.
What I’ll pack for my internship:
Aside from the requisites (reporter’s notebooks and my digital gadgets), I’m packing plenty of music and running shoes to train for my next race.
Favorite websites:
NY Times, The Atlantic, LA Times

Share

3 Comments

1. Frank O.G.
    05.10.13

CONGRATULATIONS CHIPS QUINN SCHOLARS!!! Welcome to the club. Never, ever hesitate to utilize your fellow scholars. We are here for you.

2. Leona Y. Johnson
    05.10.13

Congrats. I look forward to seeing your projects and reading your stories. Enjoy Nashville it’s a beautiful city with a rich history.

3. Jamesetta Walker
    05.13.13

Awesome!